We have designed our processes around the best national standards to ensure that our patients are getting the best evidence-based care from everyone involved in the pre-operative, surgical and post-operative process.
Hip and knee replacements have a strong track record of improving patients’ quality of life; we are trying to make them even better - Watch How
Four Weeks or More Pre-Surgery
- Review Materials pertaining to expectations for joint replacement before, during and after surgery.
- Medical Clearance or Risk Stratification from your Primary Care Doctor (Form1 – Clearance Letter).
- Dental Clearance from your dentist looking for infections or problems with your teeth or gums.
- Anesthesia Consultation – at Heywood Hospital.
- Calibrated X-rays – at Heywood Hospital.
- Have a “Post-op Plan” for rehab at home or pre-screen local rehab facilities.
- Compile and bring your Med List along with any allergies with you to the hospital.
- “Pre-hab” regimen at the your chosen physical therapy provider or other therapy provider
- Joint Replacement Class with our nurse coordinator at Heywood Orthopedics.
2-3 Days Before Surgery
- Start taking Tylenol 650mg every six hours unless otherwise instructed
- Contact the hospital to confirm operating room time
- Contact your insurance carrier to check on approval status
- Swab the inside of your nose with Bacitracin or Muciporin every day 3 days prior to surgery.
- Call us with any questions or concerns. Make sure you have any required work-related paperwork.
- You will be admitted to the hospital. Usual stay is from 1-3 days.
- You will receive Physical Therapy
- All rooms are private.
It is my preference that patients receive spinal or epidural anesthesia with regional nerve blocks when appropriate.
- Partial knee replacement patients may be discharged the day of surgery or within 23 hours.
Post-Hospital / Discharge
- You will receive physical therapy.
- Medication scripts will be provided at time of discharge. These will include anticoagulants for DVT prophylaxis, pain medication and any other new medications started at the hospital.
- Post-operative protocols for immediate management and rehab are available below.
- We will see you in about 2 weeks from date of surgery for your follow-up visit.